Friday, January 5, 2007

a very happy birthday

just as 2006 gave way to 2007 ...... the age of ninteen gave way to that of twenty for me.is it any different many ask. but it isn't . it's the same 24 hrs with the only change that i have maybe lost a little bit of that baby fat and that i have perhaps reduced the frequency of those giggles that freely used to flow.
memories of a remarkable birthday are few. being born so close to my brothers ( 30th-me , 1st-my older bro, 11th- my second bro) i just remember cutting a huge train cake that my parents ordered a week before jan 1st at nilgiri's ( coz they always deliver late) in 3 flavours and a special chocolate engine for my older brother and me ( my second brother the is good boy who doesn't spoil his teeth.... proof only he doesn't have cavities).
our house would be flooded with aunts and uncles still getting over their hangovers from partying way too hard the night before and their children who till they reached about an age of 13 would ogle at the cake till we cut it.my mother would be frantically going over the details again and again. my dad as usual would be getting in the way while he'd pour over the wine cabinet but what was most memorable was that the three of us would be given three bowls of payasam .... that all three of us would try to siphon off so that we wouldn't have to eat it.most of the time it was my second brother who would be forced to have my share and my older brother's.
it's been awhile ......now a few people have even left us for their permanent homes yet somewhere there is a small flicker of hope that those times will return. those times when we all knew what the other was feeling. those times when our biggest worry was who got the biggest piece of cake.

1 comment:

Darkness and deep said...

The ending and the beginning are super cool.
when you are pouring all those emotions, i feel its good when you say Payesh and follow it up with (payasam)- Bengali chauvinist you see!!